Upcoming Professional Events
Thursday, April 26, 2018
Location: Overland Park Convention Center, 6000 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS 66211
Littman Krooks managing partner, Bernard A. Krooks, Esq., to speak from 9:20 AM – 10:20 AM on “Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Feed Me, When I’m Sixty-Four?”
- Program Description: Not sure that the Beatles were thinking about financing long-term care, but you and your clients should be! Seventy percent of Americans age 65 and older will need some form of long-term care during their lifetime. Unfortunately, the U.S. has no health insurance system for long-term care. To many, this comes as a rude awakening as their health declines and the need for care arises. This presentation will address the myriad of options available to people in need of long-term care, how to finance such care, and other issues that should be addressed during this process.
Littman Krooks managing partner, Bernard A. Krooks, Esq., will be on a panel discussion from 10:40 AM – 11:30 AM on “Powers of Attorney and Financial Institutions: Oil and Vinegar”
To register for this conference, click here.
- Program Description: Although a power of attorney is an important component of an overall estate plan, sometimes the best laid plans go awry. Banks and other financial institutions regularly reject otherwise valid powers of attorney drafted in accordance with applicable state law, creating complications and possible extreme hardship for our clients and their families. This panel, including a representative from the banking world, will discuss current issues relating to powers of attorney, along with practical solutions and potential statutory changes that might facilitate more widespread acceptance of powers of attorney by banks and other financial institutions.
- Topics include:
Springing versus immediately effective powers of attorney
Selecting the proper agent, including multiple agents, successor agents, and compensation of agents
Monitoring the agent, including whether there is an affirmative duty to act, and accounting proceedings
Reliance by third parties on the power of attorney, including remedies available when a power of attorney is not honored
Estate and elder law planning using powers of attorney
Wednesday, May 2, 2018
Time: 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Littman Krooks managing partner, Bernard A. Krooks, Esq., will speak on Special Needs Trusts at the MOKAN Trust & Financial Services Conference.
Thursday, May 24, 2018
Webinar: Fundamentals of Elder Law and Special Needs Trusts
Time: 12:00 am
This session will discuss the fundamental issues faced by elder law practitioners and those who draft special needs trusts, as well as the legal and regulatory regimes that must be navigated. Littman Krooks partner, Bernard A. Krooks, Esq., to present.
Topics will include:
- Medicaid planning and long-term care
- Powers of attorney
- Capacity issues
- Estate planning
- First and third party special needs trusts
- SSI benefits
- Medicaid for those with special needs
- ABLE accounts
- Special education advocacy
Registration details to follow.
Saturday, June 9, 2018 - Thursday, June 14, 2018
AICPA ENGAGE is the premier event for the accounting and finance professionals. Adapt to your clients’ needs as their confidante and adviser with the knowledge gained during the Tax Strategies for the High-Income Individual curriculum.
Littman Krooks partner, Bernard A. Krooks, Esq., will present “Planning for Aging & Ill Clients” on June 12, 2018 from 1:50 PM – 3:05 PM.
This session will focus on issues that affect our clients as they age. With the enhanced federal estate tax exemption, many clients are now more concerned with how to obtain and pay for long-term care. The speaker will address the different types of long-term care available and the various financing options available. Relevant tax considerations will also be discussed.
• Learn how to advise clients concerned about how to pay for long-term care
• Learn how to advise clients on how to plan for incapacity.