Amongst the long list of damages caused by Hurricane Sandy, the Manhattan VA Medical Center, located on 423 East 23rd Street, suffered major damages from flooding that occurred in their basement which damaged mechanical systems, and the fire suppression system. With assistance from the VA NY Harbor Healthcare System, here is a list of emergency telephone numbers that have been established for any veteran in NYC in need of help during the upcoming Nor’easter:
Below is a list of telephone numbers for Veterans to use for information on general health questions, appointments, and for medication refills.
- An Emergency Pharmacy Refill Program has been established to limit medication interruption for Veterans enrolled for VA care. The system can be accessed by going to any big chain pharmacy with your Veteran ID card and medication bottle with label (showing a refill date within the last 90 days). Ask the pharmacist to call Heritage Health Solutions Customer Care Center at toll free 1-866-265-0124, where a Customer Care Representative will qualify the request by asking a few questions. No controlled drugs will be processed under this program. If a controlled drug is needed, please contact the Brooklyn VAMC Emergency Department.
- Medical Emergencies: Please dial 911.
- Veteran Information Help Line: 1-855-269-8338 (Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm) A new Veteran hotline designed to assist patients displaced from the Manhattan VA following Hurricane Sandy. A team of live attendants are available to answer calls and refer callers to appropriate services to meet their needs.
- VA Nurse Help Line: 1-866-940-2877 (24/7) to speak to a registered nurse if you experience any symptoms or have any health related questions.
- Centralized Scheduling: 1-877-877-9267 (Mon-Fri, 7:30am-8:00pm) if you have questions about an appointment at the Manhattan VA or to schedule an appointment.
- Mental Health Help Desk: 1-718-836-6600 x3759 (Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm) for questions or concerns about emotional well being or psychiatric illness.
- Pharmacy: 1-888-207-2004 (Mon-Fri, 8am-7:30pm) you may experience some additional phone transfer delays and may not hear any announcement or music on hold. Please stay on the line. Our agents will answer your call. Pharmacy phone number for ordering refills through the automated attendant (24/7).
- Pharmacy Call Center: 1-631-863-4832 to speak with a live attendant about refills, medication interactions or other concerns.
- Brooklyn VA Medical Center Emergency Department: 718-836-6600 x3125 (24/7)