New York Special Education Advocacy
The special education process can be overwhelming. The assistance of experienced counsel can make a world of difference.
Children with special needs are entitled to a “free and appropriate” education under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 2004 (IDEA). There are several other statutes that protect children’s rights, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, No Child Left Behind, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other New York State and federal laws. Understanding what these statutes and regulations mean for your child is complex and time-consuming work. We can help you put them into plain language and choose the best course of action in response to each one.
At Littman Krooks, we understand that each child has unique needs. We serve clients throughout New York State and have offices in New York City and White Plains. Our attorneys and special education advocates have been highly successful in obtaining the services that our young clients require and deserve.
We believe in using a person-centered approach in collaborating with parents, educators and social service agencies to obtain an appropriate education at no cost for as many children as possible. Because parents are a child’s most effective advocates, we believe in empowering them by providing the information necessary for success.
We advocate for education in a wide range of ways – from guidance for parents to representation and negotiations with administrators and state entities. We also counsel educators, medical professionals and advocacy groups on the various laws protecting the educational rights of children.
Parents should know that when they disagree with the school district’s decisions regarding their child’s needs, they have the right to appeal the decision in an impartial hearing. Our special education advocacy attorneys can advise you of your rights, accompany you to CSE meetings, represent you at impartial or disciplinary hearings, and file a State Education Complaint if necessary to protect your child’s right to enriching, personalized special education services.
A Littman Krooks special education attorney or advocate can also assist you with:
- Developing an appropriate Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for your child, which outlines the special education services your child should receive
- Reviewing all educational records in order to advocate for appropriate services for your child
- Identifying and securing placement in an appropriate educational setting
- Securing appropriate educational services for your child
- Locating educational resources for your child with special needs
- Handling school disciplinary matters
- Following special education due process
- Acquiring reimbursement for special education private school
- Advocating for SAT/ACT test accommodation
- Developing an appropriate plan for your child’s transition to adulthood